Our Environmental Policy
Here at Coquet Cottages, we try our best to be as economical and environmentally sensitive wherever and whenever we can and we're committed to providing an excellent quality of service, whilst minimizing the environmental impact of our activities. We are extremely fortunate to live and work in such a wonderful environment and wish to conserve the beauty and biodiversity of our wonderful landscape.
We hope that you will support us in our efforts to conserve our environment for your own enjoyment and the benefit of future generations. We and all who work with us are committed to environmental improvement in all aspects of our business.
Here are just a few of the steps we have taken to reduce our impact:
- We recycle glass, paper, tins, cardboard, milk/fruit juice cartons and plastic
- We use e-mail and telephone to communicate, rather than paper
- We recycle paper, card and our used printer cartridges
- Wherever possible we use recycled printer paper both in the office and in the cottages
- Sensitive documents are shredded and composted
- We donate used stamps and mobile phones to charity
- Wherever possible, we provide recycling bins in our cottages with clear instructions on dividing waste
- We usually supply our guests with recycled toilet paper and kitchen paper for use during their stay
- For our dog guests we provide biodegradable waste bags
- We have installed gas fired or electric central heating systems in all cottages and wherever practical, have fitted radiators with thermostatic valves
- Wherever possible we have installed double glazed windows and doors to reduce drafts and heat loss to a minimum
- Curtains are often fitted over external doors help to further reduce drafts and heat loss
- We have added extra insulation in the loft spaces and floor voids where possible
- We use energy saving light bulbs wherever practical
- Wherever possible, we have fitted minimum ‘A’ rated appliances to reduce energy consumption
- We make as much use as possible of the sun and wind to dry our laundry
- We monitor energy usage to help identify potential savings
- Wherever possible, toilets in our cottages are dual-flush
- We monitor water usage to help identify possible leakage and achieve maximum savings
- We do all our own laundry in-house using short-water cycles at 30 degrees using non-phosphate detergent
- Wherever possible, we use local suppliers as much as we can
- Our holiday cottage renovations have been undertaken by local builders, architects and craftsmen, and all maintenance repairs are undertaken by local craftsmen
- The majority of the produce in the cottage welcome baskets are sourced from local suppliers and village shops.
- We champion the provision of Fair Trade products by providing Fair Trade teas and coffees
- We buy in bulk where possible to reduce packaging waste
- We supply our guests with UK made complimentary toiletries using natural ingredients in refillable plastic bottles for use during their stay
- To our knowledge, our toiletries contain no parabens
- We provide guests with information on local transport including bus and train services
- We encourage use of cycles by providing information on and a discount at local cycle hire firms.
- Most of our cottages have a secure place where cycles can be locked up safely
- We have lots of information on 'walks from the door to give guests the choice of a car free holiday as well as OS maps and various walking and cycling guides
- We offer much information on days out in National Trust parks or wildlife reserves
- Many of our cottages are members of Visit England Walkers Welcome, Cyclists Welcome, Pets Welcome and Families Welcome schemes, participation of which involves providing appropriate facilities for all.
Our Immediate Environment
- We have nest boxes and bird feeders to attract wildlife to the gardens wherever possible
- We maintain the house and gardens in a way which respects and brings alive the architecture and history of each property
- No smoking policy in all of our cottages
The Products we use
- Our cleaning staff rarely use bleach and make maximum use of e-cloths (which require only water to clean with)
How our Guests can Help
We can work together to make less of an impact on our surroundings and we ask our guests to do the following:
- Use our recycling facilities: 'Reduce, Re-use and Recycle'
- Please try and use as little water as possible
- Only turn heating up higher if necessary
- Buy products with less packaging
- Respect the Country Code and dispose of litter carefully
- Buy local food and services whilst you are here. This supports the local community that you have come to visit and reduces food miles
- Enjoy the wide range of beautiful walks right on your doorstep in the Coquet Valley and along the Northumberland Coast, minimise travelling further by car
- Bring your bikes - we have secure bike storage
If, after staying in one of our cottages, you have any suggestions for improvement or general feedback, we will be delighted to hear from you, as we are constantly seeking to improve our approach to sustainability and conservation.